Popular on PF (Mobile)

Staff Forums (Mod Den)

Popular on PF Right Now

Is Dexter a Psychopath?

Discussion in 'Male Survivors' started by Peace, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Peace
    Dreaming

Peace Administrator

No Contact:
    67 Months
    I don't know if any of you follow "Dexter", but I think it's really a fascinating show (if it's not too triggering).

This season is especially interesting, starting out with a new character named Vogel. She is a brain neuroscientist who studies the brains of psychopaths. She is known as "the psychopath whisperer" because she understands them so well.

It's great to see a mainstream show discuss issues like psychopaths on Wall Street, in politics, etc.

Vogel notices that the main thing separating Dexter from most other psychopaths is his need for justice, and the love he has for his sister.

I'm starting to wonder if we might discover in this final season that Dexter isn't truly a psychopath? Maybe she can prove it with her brain studies?

Vogel has a positive view of psychopaths, deeming them "gifts" instead of mistakes. I loved Dexter's response to that: "What kind of gift destroys everything around it?"

2. Freezer Burned

Freezer Burned Inactive

No Contact:
    Months
    I think Dexter is one of the most clever, well written TV shows ever, unfortunately I am hypersensitive to gore and killing, and the show ALWAYS ends with a killing. After the first season I couldn't take any more. ------------ I don't think he is interested in "justice" but in channelling his revenge in a way that won't cause him problems. Did you see the first episode of the first season? ------------ I don't think Ps are capable of love (or any true emotion), maybe his sister is a part of his extended self.

confuzed, Dan0997 and Peace like this.
  3. Indie917
    Mellow

Indie917 Administrator

No Contact:
    51 Months
    Did Dexter say that to her? Or did he think it and it was given in the narrative. I thought it was the latter. I took it as a typical type of P response that was glib and kind of his way of stating: You think we're a "gift?" I love how naive you are and yet don't realize it."

Yeah, I've enjoyed watching Dexter, never been a die hard fan but liked it. I was channel surfing last night and landed right on this very quote and I thought, "Oh that's it! I did not want to hear about what a "gift" they are in this world.

I just think it's a popular formula for Hollywood today. They've really managed to flip it and make the "bad" guys the "good" guys. The heroes. Which is kind of disturbing really. But I watch True Blood and often find myself rooting for the Vamps. Look at the Twilight series and how popular 50 Shades of Messed Up have been.

Dan0997, Questionmark and Peace like this.
  4. FlaStarGazer
    Cool

FlaStarGazer Psychopath Free Donor

No Contact:
    42 Months
    I Love Dexter, I have watched it since the beginning...I agree with Freezer burned in the respect that "I don't think he is interested in "justice" but in channeling his revenge in a way that won't cause him problems" ~ seems like S/P behavior to me...doing wrong and getting away with it...then over time it just gets easier because they get better at it...like Dexter...but, as an avid Fan, I have to think that the season will end with his demise...a personality like this can only hold it together for so long...I can only Hope he "goes out with a Bang"...as in someone Kills Him !....Sick, I know...but true :happy-little:

5. Peace
    Dreaming

Peace Administrator

No Contact:
    67 Months
    Awesome discussion! Are you guys caught up on the newest season? I don't want to spoil anything, but they seem to be emphasizing Dexter's need to show his victims their past wrongdoings (photos of their murders). This is why she's been hinting at that need for justice, and perhaps some sort of conscience. I wonder if they will scan his brain!

Indie, I looked up the exact line, and it's actually just a thought (not dialog) - he thinks to himself: "But, what kind of gift destroys everything he cares about?"

Doesn't that almost sound like someone with a conscience?

Maybe I just don't want him to be a psychopath because I have a crush on Michael C Hall :love:

6. Questionmark

Questionmark Inactive Inactive

No Contact:
    39 Months
    I only just watched the first two episodes of season one. I know I've got some major catching up to do because I really enjoy the show! My ex didn't like tv series like this one and needed my attention all the time, so I never had the chance to watch, and I really haven't got a clue in what year Dexter started being broadcasted here in my country.

Luckily, for all of us who missed out and want to watch, all episodes sofar can be watched for free here: http://www.cokeandpopcorn.ch/watch-dexter-online.php

After just having watched the first two episodes ever, I like the fact that by the flashbacks of his youth, I can learn how he got to be who he is right now, so it gives me more of a clue when I skip to season eight to be on track with the current season. I'm going to watch all seasons, yay!

Dan0997, Espressogirl and Peace like this.
  7. FlaStarGazer
    Cool

FlaStarGazer Psychopath Free Donor

No Contact:
    42 Months
    LOL Peace !.... I have had a crush on him too since Six Feet Under !...:love-very:

- - - Updated - - -

Questionmark::: Ooohhh definitely watch them in order....From the Beginning !.... just when you think it cant get any better.... IT DOES !

8. Questionmark

Questionmark Inactive Inactive

No Contact:
    39 Months
    I'm tempted to skip to the current season, but I've got episode three of season one lined up right now, but first I'm going to do a round of laundrey (guess what appeals to me more right now, but the laundrey HAS to be done *lol*).

9. lizzybee

lizzybee Member

No Contact:
    46 Months
    I love Dexter I am on to season 7 just started from the beginning a few weeks ago. I like the idea of one of their own wiping them out. I think it's unlikely you'd get a real life psychopath such as Dexter but it's a gripping programme.

outloud2, Questionmark and Peace like this.
  10. Smitten Kitten

Smitten Kitten Administrator

No Contact:
    64 Months
    I used to follow Dexter, but missed several shows or maybe even a whole season or two leading up to this one, based on the recaps. In the first two episodes of this season, my opinion so far is that they are promoting the "good" things about psychopaths that we have seen recently in articles and books, talking about the "positive" qualities and they are here for a reason to advance humanity. What is most disturbing and inaccurate for me, is that they are portraying Dexter as having a conscience and empathy.

As for the "Psychopath Whisperer" herself, I find her "approval" and "admiration" of Dexter a little too much, especially when she whispered in his ear that he was "perfect." I personally think she is going to turn out to be the psychopath in this season and the serial killer she has Dexter looking for.