Help PsychopathFree with ongoing maintenance costs & remove these ads from your account with a small donation. Learn more

View Poll Results: Are psychopaths born or raised?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Born

27 23.89%
  • Raised

11 9.73%
  • Combination

68 60.18%
  • Not Sure / Other

7 6.19%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Psychopaths Born or Raised?

Contributing Member
    NC Time
    27 Months

Liked
    3,352 times

Laughing
    http://datingasociopath.com/ a good article written today on the first page of the site. Just for Women-The male sociopath attitudes towards sex, and cognitive learning in childhood. Did anyone read this??

2. Advertisement

Inactive
    NC Time
    22 Months

Liked
    18,066 times

Dreaming
    On a very personal level now, I am really disturbed by the soul-lessness of the psychopath and I spend a lot of time contemplating the spiritual aspect of that. I find it absolutely alarming but I can't stop digging around in that subject. Does anyone else feel this way?
    I'm not disturbed, no. Spiritually speaking, I'm convinced that every soul on this planet has to face the consequences of his or her actions someday, and has to take responsibility for them. There's no way out of it, and even if it doesn't happen in this lifetime, they will be confronted about it in the afterlife (however we perceive it) and will be "judged" accordingly, and without putting too much stress on "reward" or "punishment" here, I'm convinced these measurements will be just!

Contributing Member
    NC Time
    23 Months

Liked
    30,532 times

Brooding
    I'm not disturbed, no. Spiritually speaking, I'm convinced that every soul on this planet has to face the consequences of his or her actions someday, and has to take responsibility for them. There's no way out of it, and even if it doesn't happen in this lifetime, they will be confronted about it in the afterlife (however we perceive it) and will be "judged" accordingly, and without putting too much stress on "reward" or "punishment" here, I'm convinced these measurements will be just!
    Q, I meant I am disturbed by the school of thought that says they have no souls (lol)...the idea that they are LITERALLY soul-less has quite a large following. Yes I know, it sounds bizarre. Read up some on it...I'm certain you will see exactly what I'm getting at here....

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I hope I'm not pissing off anyone here going on this tangent...but it's bugging me...I would like to hear what others have to say about it. I am not in the least religious, but am innately a very spiritual person...and the entire relationship with the P has disturbed my spiritual self v deeply

Inactive
    NC Time
    22 Months

Liked
    18,066 times

Dreaming
    Q, I meant I am disturbed by the school of thought that says they have no souls (lol)...the idea that they are LITERALLY soul-less has quite a large following. Yes I know, it sounds bizarre. Read up some on it...I'm certain you will see exactly what I'm getting at here....

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I hope I'm not pissing off anyone here going on this tangent...but it's bugging me...I would like to hear what others have to say about it. I am not in the least religious, but am innately a very spiritual person...and the entire relationship with the P has disturbed my spiritual self v deeply
    Oh, I see what you mean, SFS! I don't believe in "having no soul" myself, so I'll be among the first to dismiss that school of thought, but having no hint at a conscience or blocking it completely is a different matter though. They definitely don't care about the feelings of others or about what consequences their actions might have.

I'm sure you were deeply disturbed, spiritually, I know I have been, but I'm also convinced that nobody is ever able to change your deepest convictions about life/reality permanently!

Inactive

Liked
    7,821 times

Dreaming
    I can speak from direct experience that psychopathy comes into the world through genetic predisposition triggered by environment. My ex-husband provided the genetics and the erratic role-model, and I provided an inconsistent, over-nurturing, and overly-permissive environment during formative years. There may be other ways psychopathy comes about, but I've observed the combination of nature and nurture in both my immediate family and my extended family.

I've noticed how denial of psychopathy develops and works in parents and siblings, too. It can be too painful and guilt-ridden for a parent to see clearly, and can be absolutely dangerous for a younger sibling especially to see it for what it is in an older one.

This is a subject I'd love to talk about in great detail but I fear would be too revealing.

Contributing Member
    NC Time
    23 Months

Liked
    30,532 times

Brooding
    Yes, I agree with you, Q...no one can change my/our fundamental beliefs/convictions etc. And he certainly hasn't...he's just imparted new knowledge...new awareness. Alas, I am starting to think it's a possibility that there is such a thing as a soul-less apparently human species...it's the dead eyes....after discard...empty nothingness which started me on this. They are so not human...in my book...human beings have souls. I feel like they are a f****** alien species!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I can speak from direct experience that psychopathy comes into the world through genetic predisposition triggered by environment. My ex-husband provided the genetics and the erratic role-model, and I provided an inconsistent, over-nurturing, and overly-permissive environment during formative years. There may be other ways psychopathy comes about, but I've observed the combination of nature and nurture in both my immediate family and my extended family.

I've noticed how denial of psychopathy develops and works in parents and siblings, too. It can be too painful and guilt-ridden for a parent to see clearly, and can be absolutely dangerous for a younger sibling especially to see it for what it is in an older one.

This is a subject I'd love to talk about in great detail but I fear would be too revealing.
    Wakeup, thank you for sharing that. That's really solid, concrete information. I feel 'shattered' at now realising the kind of experience you must have had. If ONLY science could identify this goddamn gene and eradicate the thing!!!!!

Inactive
    NC Time
    22 Months

Liked
    18,066 times

Dreaming
    Yes, I agree with you, Q...no one can change my/our fundamental beliefs/convictions etc. And he certainly hasn't...he's just imparted new knowledge...new awareness. Alas, I am starting to think it's a possibility that there is such a thing as a soul-less apparently human species...it's the dead eyes....after discard...empty nothingness which started me on this. They are so not human...in my book...human beings have souls. I feel like they are a f****** alien species!!!
    I think they are not in touch with their own souls, rather than having no souls. They're disengaged from the core of their own being to the point of seeming to have no soul, but they still definitely recognise what consciously having a soul must be like, because they try the best they can to destroy ours (and fail miserably of course, because we're not susceptible to that)!

Contributing Member
    NC Time
    23 Months

Liked
    30,532 times

Brooding
    I think they are not in touch with their own souls, rather than having no souls. They're disengaged from the core of their own being to the point of seeming to have no soul, but they still definitely recognise what consciously having a soul must be like, because they try the best they can to destroy ours (and fail miserably of course, because we're not susceptible to that)!
    I like that Q, thank you. Plus, you've reminded me of a thing L used to say (the ex P - I'm getting tired of writing 'the ex-P' all the bloody time lol)...so, he used to say: "I don't know why I'm so out of touch with myself. YOU'RE so in touch with yourself. I wish I was!!'...and dear ole me, ignorant of wtf he was at the time, replied by explaining mindfulness, being in the moment, and getting in touch with yourself like that. The bastard used to love that, when I did that sort of thing, giving advice to him. Dear God, he used to lean in and listen raptly...hanging on to every word...now I see the sonofabitch was just picking up tips on how to act like a normal. I was so innocent!!!!! Like all of us. I spent a lot of time teaching him how to mirror a normal more effectively...by virtue of how open a person I am. How he abused that!

Inactive
    NC Time
    22 Months

Liked
    18,066 times

Dreaming
    I'm afraid I did that, too. *lol* Explaining my views on the ways of the world and fucking reality to a total and utter lost cause, only feeding her arsenal of fake wisdom. She used to flatter me I was so wise, but no, I was a total idiot back then, trying to get some messages across!

Contributing Member
    NC Time
    23 Months

Liked
    30,532 times

Brooding
    I'm afraid I did that, too. *lol* Explaining my views on the ways of the world and fucking reality to a total and utter lost cause, only feeding her arsenal of fake wisdom. She used to flatter me I was so wise, but no, I was a total idiot back then, trying to get some messages across!
    Good to know I'm not alone in this...I feel like a fool sometimes when I think of it...cringe!!!! thank you for sharing that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast