Help PsychopathFree with ongoing maintenance costs & remove these ads from your account with a small donation. Learn more
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do Psychopaths Feel Physical Pain? It appears the answer is no.

Liked
    22 times

Angelic

Exclamation Do Psychopaths Feel Physical Pain? It appears the answer is no.

Psychopaths and the perception of pain...

Do psychopaths feel as much physical pain as normal people? Do they reel back in displeasure when they get cut, bruised, or otherwise injured?

It appears the answer is a significant No. Not only do Psychopaths have less empathetic connection, but their physical sensation of actual pain resulting from damage is less.

Biologically, this appears to be due to differences in their genetic brain development, specifically their cerebellum. Instead of the usual negative response to pain, psychopaths actually exhibit a pleasure response to pain in the cerebellum and other relevant components. Thus, they not only feel less physical pain, but actually enjoy it on some level (masochism).

Unfortunately, there appears to be limited experimentation on this.

"Psychopaths Differ in Brain Response to Pain"
    2 Likes: cathode, outloud2

2. Advertisement

Contributing Member
    NC Time
    9 Months

Liked
    460 times

Biologically, this appears to be due to differences in their genetic brain development, specifically their cerebellum. Instead of the usual negative response to pain, psychopaths actually exhibit a pleasure response to pain in the cerebellum and other relevant components. Thus, they not only feel less physical pain, but actually enjoy it on some level (masochism).

"Psychopaths Differ in Brain Response to Pain"

This explains my P's overwhelming interest in extreme martial arts. He practiced it and would watch it. He loved it, I was disgusted by it. They would knock somebody down and humiliate him and beat him. And my P was fascinated by that. And proud that if they did that to him he would fight and stand up, even though he would be physically hurt.

And his gear, and whatever he used for it, those scary intimidating items. They were always hanging around somewhere in his bedroom. Like a shield. Or a trophee. As if he wanted to let me know: don't fight me. Or I'll get you. Come to think of it: scary.

Contributing Member
    NC Time
    24 Months

Liked
    7,647 times

Fine
    My exP was insanely tough. He NEVER complained and I saw him suffer shingles, broken fingers, massive cuts, etc.....

NC Time
    10 Months

Liked
    408 times

Pensive
    Mine will yell out a great roar whenever he steps on something or bumps his foot into something. It always rattled me, but lately I find it and him annoying. It would be interesting to find out that he actually isn't feeling as much pain as he lets on. I have already figured out that he is making a mountain out of a molehill. It pains me to see how unnerving it is for our kids.

Inactive
    NC Time
    10 Months

Liked
    1,170 times

Angry
    I've noticed that mild injuries bother them the most.My P cut his leg with a chainsaw four years ago.As soon as the injury happened he started to laugh, "look at that honey,,,go get a band aid"!! I was mortified and totally floored by his response.A few weeks later he cut his thumb with a knife ( 2 cm cut vs a 12 inch cut) and he's screaming and moaning about it all day.
    1 Like: cathode

NC Time
    14 Months

Liked
    1,063 times
    That article probably explains why so many of our exPs are/were into s&m.
    1 Like: cathode

Contributing Member
    NC Time
    10 Months

Liked
    2,003 times

Happy
    uhuh smh
    Truth will out! and Karma knows where you live !

+ Reply to Thread