Help PsychopathFree with ongoing maintenance costs & remove these ads from your account with a small donation. Learn more
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parents of psychopaths

Liked
    6 times

parents of psychopaths

Ijust joined this forum I believe that my husband's 24 yr old son is a psychopath. I just wanted to know if there are parents who have had experience with adult psychopath children

2 Likes: Peace, Victoria

2. Advertisement

Administrator
    NC Time
    38 Months

Liked
    29,067 times

Dreaming
    lbl, I don't personally have any experience with this, but there are many films & articles about it. Check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/ma...oc.semityn.www

Your son is even older - do you notice any of these red flags? When did you start to notice them?

Wishing you all the best, hopefully we can help with our knowledge of psychopaths in relationships
    2 Likes: DawnG, Morphology

I've written a new book! More information here:
    https://www.psychopathfree.com/showthread.php?12562-The-Psychopath-Cure-A-New-Book-by-Peace

Your abuse was not the result of weakness. In fact, it illuminated some of your most beautiful & human qualities.

That Times article is remarkable. I recommend everyone read it.

I guarantee there are parents of psychopaths here even if they don't frequently (or ever) post. I have conversed with a few on other message boards. Unfortunately, they seem to tend to stay unto themselves, possibly because they so often blame themselves and feel deep shame for what their children became.

Administrator
    NC Time
    38 Months

Liked
    29,067 times

Dreaming
    That Times article is remarkable. I recommend everyone read it.

I guarantee there are parents of psychopaths here even if they don't frequently (or ever) post. I have conversed with a few on other message boards. Unfortunately, they seem to tend to stay unto themselves, possibly because they so often blame themselves and feel deep shame for what their children became.
    It's such a confusing issue - they feel like they either raised a psychopath, or genetically produced one. But there is no evidence that points to either of these, so a non-abusive parent should never blame themselves.

Has anyone ever seen the film, "We Need to Talk About Kevin" ? It does into a lot of detail about this very issue
    https://www.psychopathfree.com/showthread.php?12562-The-Psychopath-Cure-A-New-Book-by-Peace

Your abuse was not the result of weakness. In fact, it illuminated some of your most beautiful & human qualities.

Inactive

Liked
    7,736 times

Dreaming
    "I guarantee there are parents of psychopaths here even if they don't frequently (or ever) post. I have conversed with a few on other message boards. Unfortunately, they seem to tend to stay unto themselves, possibly because they so often blame themselves and feel deep shame for what their children became." DawnG

Hi, all. I just wanted to respond, as the parent of two adult psychopaths, that another reason I for one haven't responded to some posts asking about parents of psychopathic children is because I don't yet trust the posters. I've revealed much more about my experiences in private messaging to a veteran poster who I feel much trust for, but I am hesitant to discuss such in an open forum. Sometimes I've felt that I've said far too much on the forum! Call me paranoid, but I don't know that the posters aren't in fact one of my own children (one of whom I'm involved with somewhat in their ongoing legal case with my DIL). xxxooo

Administrator
    NC Time
    38 Months

Liked
    29,067 times

Dreaming
    "I guarantee there are parents of psychopaths here even if they don't frequently (or ever) post. I have conversed with a few on other message boards. Unfortunately, they seem to tend to stay unto themselves, possibly because they so often blame themselves and feel deep shame for what their children became." DawnG

Hi, all. I just wanted to respond, as the parent of two adult psychopaths, that another reason I for one haven't responded to some posts asking about parents of psychopathic children is because I don't yet trust the posters. I've revealed much more about my experiences in private messaging to a veteran poster who I feel much trust for, but I am hesitant to discuss such in an open forum. Sometimes I've felt that I've said far too much on the forum! Call me paranoid, but I don't know that the posters aren't in fact one of my own children (one of whom I'm involved with somewhat in their ongoing legal case with my DIL). xxxooo
    You are not paranoid, that makes complete sense - please always feel free to ask an admin if you're wondering about a user. If you have any emails from either of the psychopathic children, we can also use that to ban their IPs from ever viewing the site.

Inactive

Liked
    7,736 times

Dreaming
    Thank you, I really appreciate your support.

Liked
    6 times

Response to Wakeup -parentsof psychopaths

I just read your post. I am new to this forum. I think that my husband's 24 year old son is a psychopath. My husband feels a lot of guilt mainly b/c his son uses it as an effective tool against him. I have been married for over 10 yrs and the characteristics have been obvious to me for several years. However, it has only been over the past few weeks that my husband has actually read about pschopaths and their characteristics. My husband has also said that most of the traits of early childhood were present in his son from the age of 3 or 4. I would really appreciate it if you would share some of your info w/ me. We can do it privately if you would rather just let me know. I have struggled with this situation from almost the beginning. I came very close to filing for divorce quite a few times. About 7 years ago, I put my stepson out of my house for good. My husband & I moved to a different city and his son and his daughter are not welcome in our home. These were the only ground rules that I would accept from my husband. Even though, I don't think that his daughter is a psychopath there hve been so many bad experiences that I don't want to risk letting her into our home. I am also fairly certain that my husband's children's mother is a psychopath. She also exhibits all of the characteristics. I forced my husband to cut off communication w/ her 3-4 years ago. Since we have been married, there has been an ongoing problem of his children and their mother working together to manipulate my husband,
    1 Like: Smitten Kitten

Administrator

Liked
    27,830 times
    lbl,

Welcome to the forum. What a load to bear! It must have been so frustrating to know these things on your own for a few years. It sounds like major progress that your husband is finally reading/learning about psychopaths now! I hope he continues to do so, and will be less likely to be manipulated again--especially via guilt.

I've had psychopaths in my extended (not immediate) family, and the chaos and hell they create is unbelievable! I'd realized what they were when reading The Sociopath Next Door in an attempt to understand my ex-boyfriend. Suddenly, it all became very clear that a few relatives were psychopaths as well! That new understanding was a relief, because it made sense out of chaos. Maybe your husband, although far closer to the situation, will feel a sense of relief in seeing what he is dealing with and that there was nothing he could do.

You have my sympathy.

P.S. I know I wasn't exactly addressing your question, but wanted to say that they exist in my family also.
    1 Like: Smitten Kitten

Last edited by Victoria; 10-05-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Inactive

Liked
    7,736 times

Dreaming
    " I would really appreciate it if you would share some of your info w/ me. We can do it privately if you would rather just let me know." lbl

Hi, lbl, I just saw your post. Feel free to private message me, and I'll answer your questions the best I can. The weekends (the weekend for me is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) are hectic for me, so I may have to get back to you Monday week when it's quieter here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast