PDA

View Full Version : Is Dexter a Psychopath?

Peace
07-09-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't know if any of you follow "Dexter", but I think it's really a fascinating show (if it's not too triggering).

This season is especially interesting, starting out with a new character named Vogel. She is a brain neuroscientist who studies the brains of psychopaths. She is known as "the psychopath whisperer" because she understands them so well.

It's great to see a mainstream show discuss issues like psychopaths on Wall Street, in politics, etc.

Vogel notices that the main thing separating Dexter from most other psychopaths is his need for justice, and the love he has for his sister.

I'm starting to wonder if we might discover in this final season that Dexter isn't truly a psychopath? Maybe she can prove it with her brain studies?

Vogel has a positive view of psychopaths, deeming them "gifts" instead of mistakes. I loved Dexter's response to that: "What kind of gift destroys everything around it?"

Freezer Burned
07-09-2013, 11:30 AM
I think Dexter is one of the most clever, well written TV shows ever, unfortunately I am hypersensitive to gore and killing, and the show ALWAYS ends with a killing. After the first season I couldn't take any more. ------------ I don't think he is interested in "justice" but in channelling his revenge in a way that won't cause him problems. Did you see the first episode of the first season? ------------ I don't think Ps are capable of love (or any true emotion), maybe his sister is a part of his extended self.

Indie917
07-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Vogel has a positive view of psychopaths, deeming them "gifts" instead of mistakes. I loved Dexter's response to that: "What kind of gift destroys everything around it?"

Did Dexter say that to her? Or did he think it and it was given in the narrative. I thought it was the latter. I took it as a typical type of P response that was glib and kind of his way of stating: You think we're a "gift?" I love how naive you are and yet don't realize it."

Yeah, I've enjoyed watching Dexter, never been a die hard fan but liked it. I was channel surfing last night and landed right on this very quote and I thought, "Oh that's it! I did not want to hear about what a "gift" they are in this world.

I just think it's a popular formula for Hollywood today. They've really managed to flip it and make the "bad" guys the "good" guys. The heroes. Which is kind of disturbing really. But I watch True Blood and often find myself rooting for the Vamps. Look at the Twilight series and how popular 50 Shades of Messed Up have been.

FlaStarGazer
07-09-2013, 12:37 PM
I Love Dexter, I have watched it since the beginning...I agree with Freezer burned in the respect that "I don't think he is interested in "justice" but in channeling his revenge in a way that won't cause him problems" ~ seems like S/P behavior to me...doing wrong and getting away with it...then over time it just gets easier because they get better at it...like Dexter...but, as an avid Fan, I have to think that the season will end with his demise...a personality like this can only hold it together for so long...I can only Hope he "goes out with a Bang"...as in someone Kills Him !....Sick, I know...but true :happy-little:

Peace
07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Awesome discussion! Are you guys caught up on the newest season? I don't want to spoil anything, but they seem to be emphasizing Dexter's need to show his victims their past wrongdoings (photos of their murders). This is why she's been hinting at that need for justice, and perhaps some sort of conscience. I wonder if they will scan his brain!

Indie, I looked up the exact line, and it's actually just a thought (not dialog) - he thinks to himself: "But, what kind of gift destroys everything he cares about?"

Doesn't that almost sound like someone with a conscience?

Maybe I just don't want him to be a psychopath because I have a crush on Michael C Hall :love:

Questionmark
07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
I only just watched the first two episodes of season one. I know I've got some major catching up to do because I really enjoy the show! My ex didn't like tv series like this one and needed my attention all the time, so I never had the chance to watch, and I really haven't got a clue in what year Dexter started being broadcasted here in my country.

Luckily, for all of us who missed out and want to watch, all episodes sofar can be watched for free here: http://www.cokeandpopcorn.ch/watch-dexter-online.php

After just having watched the first two episodes ever, I like the fact that by the flashbacks of his youth, I can learn how he got to be who he is right now, so it gives me more of a clue when I skip to season eight to be on track with the current season. I'm going to watch all seasons, yay!

FlaStarGazer
07-09-2013, 02:51 PM
LOL Peace !.... I have had a crush on him too since Six Feet Under !...:love-very:

- - - Updated - - -

Questionmark::: Ooohhh definitely watch them in order....From the Beginning !.... just when you think it cant get any better.... IT DOES !

Questionmark
07-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm tempted to skip to the current season, but I've got episode three of season one lined up right now, but first I'm going to do a round of laundrey (guess what appeals to me more right now, but the laundrey HAS to be done *lol*).

lizzybee
07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
I love Dexter I am on to season 7 just started from the beginning a few weeks ago. I like the idea of one of their own wiping them out. I think it's unlikely you'd get a real life psychopath such as Dexter but it's a gripping programme.

Smitten Kitten
07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't know if any of you follow "Dexter", but I think it's really a fascinating show (if it's not too triggering).

This season is especially interesting, starting out with a new character named Vogel. She is a brain neuroscientist who studies the brains of psychopaths. She is known as "the psychopath whisperer" because she understands them so well.

It's great to see a mainstream show discuss issues like psychopaths on Wall Street, in politics, etc.

Vogel notices that the main thing separating Dexter from most other psychopaths is his need for justice, and the love he has for his sister.

I'm starting to wonder if we might discover in this final season that Dexter isn't truly a psychopath? Maybe she can prove it with her brain studies?

I used to follow Dexter, but missed several shows or maybe even a whole season or two leading up to this one, based on the recaps. In the first two episodes of this season, my opinion so far is that they are promoting the "good" things about psychopaths that we have seen recently in articles and books, talking about the "positive" qualities and they are here for a reason to advance humanity. What is most disturbing and inaccurate for me, is that they are portraying Dexter as having a conscience and empathy.

As for the "Psychopath Whisperer" herself, I find her "approval" and "admiration" of Dexter a little too much, especially when she whispered in his ear that he was "perfect." I personally think she is going to turn out to be the psychopath in this season and the serial killer she has Dexter looking for.

lizzybee
07-10-2013, 06:26 AM
I doubt a real psychopath would have time to kill the bad people. Too busy conning and posting pictures on social media to keep up their image. I watched a documentary last night about Luke Magotta. If you get the chance watch that, if you need anything to make you see just how pathetic they really are this is the guy to watch. Laughable creature although what he did for his supply wasn't.

Wonderwoman
07-10-2013, 07:31 AM
I just started watching the series and am half-way through season 2. I do find some things triggering about it, but not so bad that I can't watch it. I think he's more a sociopath than a psychopath, if you follow that school of thought--that S's are more "made" and P's have that tendancy since birth and that childhood neglect/trauma can trigger it. There are so many things that Dexter does NOT do that makes the show ring untrue. He seems to genuinely care for his gf/wife and sister and only seems to lie to them so they won't uncover his murdurous ways. P's lie because they breathe. He seems to care about those relationships. Narcs "care" about their relationships too, but he's no narc. Dexter's relationships just don't seem like true P relationships. But yes, it's a great show. DO NOT give anything away, people!

Indie917
07-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Maybe I just don't want him to be a psychopath because I have a crush on Michael C Hall :love:

LOL He is such a cutie!! I loved him in Six Feet Under. God do I miss that show. I absolutely loved the ending of it!

What an incredible actor he is too, not many can get fans to see them as a new character easily. He sure accomplished this with no problem!

haywire1337
07-12-2013, 06:34 AM
I was actually wondering the same thing so I'm glad i found this post. Amongst many other things some of which pointed out by you guys there was also this discussion between him and Vogel where Dexter suggested he needed to speak with somebody after his father died. Vogel was a bit surprised because that's not typical of psychopathic behavior. He also seems remorseful towards her sister, blaming himself for how she turned up to be. Psychopaths are usually better in disguise, don't forget they have narcissistic tendencies so they need to be noticed and they'll have a special kind of charm, they'll use their wits to create a perfect mask in order to manipulate people. Dexter seems to stay clear of that and people, he doesn't need or desire any attention towards him. Doakes saw right through him, the way he kept his head down and was always so weird and unnatural, he barely says two words to anyone and then storms away. I really have a hard time figuring what Dexter is ... certainly if he does end up "remaining a psychopath on the show" then they done a poor job, i doubt he'll stay this way( as in perception ).
Anyway there are many questions to be unraveled as we dive in to the last season, hope it ends in a way that's memorable. I certainly enjoyed the show so far.

Peace
07-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Cool observations, haywire! I also think the focus on his conscience is growing this season - what he's done to his sister, the past need for help when his dad died.

This is exactly right:

they'll use their wits to create a perfect mask in order to manipulate people

If we look at Dexter's relationships, he does not do this. He actually went out of his way to avoid harming Rita or making her uncomfortable. Yes, his relationships are odd, but nothing like the patterns we see here on this site. He does hurt innocent people for fun.

I wonder if they will end it by giving off some glimmer of hope, not just a psychopath who will never change.

sandbook
07-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I used to watch Dexter but I stopped at one moment; it kind of became a bit too much for me:). Extremely well written indeed.

Questionmark
07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
So Rita dies, I expected that would happen somewhere down the line (and don't spoil it by telling me when), although I only watched the first nine episodes of season one. From what I've seen sofar, I feel sure he's not the typical psychopath we're dealing with here on this forum and in our own lives. He's just taking too much effort in understanding himself, doing the "right" thing in his killing business, is upholding a moral code, and although he doesn't understand feelings and relationships, he wants to make sure to treat the ones closest to him the best he's able to.

Peace
07-12-2013, 01:43 PM
OMG I SPOILED STUFF!!!! I'm so sorry!!! Bowing out of this thread now, before I spoil anything else. Editing out my other comment - sorry again QM!

Questionmark
07-12-2013, 01:46 PM
It doesn't matter, Peace, don't worry! I picked up bits and pieces here and there (and not just on this forum), not only the little thing you gave away in your previous post. This is the consequence of being so far behind, I guess. I already knew exactly what would happen in the last episode of Game of Thrones as well, and I enjoyed it anyway. ;)

Questionmark
07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm watching season 3 right now, and Debra eerily resembles a girl I once knew now that she had the haircut!

exmrspsycho
07-18-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm watching season 3 right now, and Debra eerily resembles a girl I once knew now that she had the haircut!

woohooo You go Questionmark! ;)

Questionmark
07-19-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm catching up, and I enjoy the show!

Peace
07-19-2013, 11:57 AM
I am still afraid of participating in this thread :blushing: Is this the season with Miguel Prado?

Questionmark
07-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Yep, it's that season, and I know he's gonna die! *lol*

outloud2
07-21-2013, 02:01 AM
I just started watching the series and am half-way through season 2. I do find some things triggering about it, but not so bad that I can't watch it. I think he's more a sociopath than a psychopath, if you follow that school of thought--that S's are more "made" and P's have that tendancy since birth and that childhood neglect/trauma can trigger it. There are so many things that Dexter does NOT do that makes the show ring untrue. He seems to genuinely care for his gf/wife and sister and only seems to lie to them so they won't uncover his murdurous ways. P's lie because they breathe. He seems to care about those relationships. Narcs "care" about their relationships too, but he's no narc. Dexter's relationships just don't seem like true P relationships. But yes, it's a great show. DO NOT give anything away, people!

Some say that "sociopaths" do follow a moral code and they do have boundaries where psychopaths are totally reckless and deranged. I've heard that some believe "sociopaths" are the result of a malevolent early environment.

exmrspsycho
07-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I am still afraid of participating in this thread :blushing: Is this the season with Miguel Prado?

why afraid Peace???

Questionmark
07-21-2013, 03:06 PM
To spoil things in advance for those who are behind. ;)

I don't mind spoilers myself though, it's normal when a series is way ahead of you, and people talk, you read things, etc. It's not like you can go to, say, Anne Frank the Musical and expect or hope she'll live.

elma
07-27-2013, 05:40 PM
I have never watched Dexter myself, but my ex P loved it - it was one of his fave shows. And his sister also had a psycology degree! So ironic. I've read how loads of sociopaths tend to have lots of books and literature on psycology etc and watch shows like Dexter. Interesting isn't it. They're so superior they could never see thier own behaviour reflected in shows like this or in books about P's or sociopaths.

Wonderwoman
07-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Mr. Creepy used to talk a lot about his hippocampus--some part of the brain. And he liked to make sarcastic comments about people he thought were "psychos", i.e. an old girlfriend on FB who got engaged to a man he pointed out to me as one. Not sure what prompted that notion, but looking back, it was interesting to recall that. Takes one to know one? I should have said that to him. I wonder what his reaction would have been. Oh, and he doesn't watch Dexter--he spends all of his money on scratch-off lottery tickets so he can't afford premium channels. Doh.

cathode
07-28-2013, 01:04 AM
I wonder a lot about whether they can spot each other.... P always said he liked "everybody" as part of his mask, but I noted he took an instant dislike to a couple of males who are partners of my female friends who are controlling, abusive and charismatic, most likely Ps, he also took an instant dislike to another female friend's New partner before they got together, I'm really hoping he doesn't have an ability to tell for her sake.

on the other hand, two very selfish, manipulative, narcissistic women don't register for him as any kind of negative at all.

I have moved away from all of this people now, j found a cluster of sickness there.

I also found the ep of Dexter I did watch triggering, watching Dexter's target at work on his victim was difficult for me :(

Mr. Creepy used to talk a lot about his hippocampus--some part of the brain. And he liked to make sarcastic comments about people he thought were "psychos", i.e. an old girlfriend on FB who got engaged to a man he pointed out to me as one. Not sure what prompted that notion, but looking back, it was interesting to recall that. Takes one to know one? I should have said that to him. I wonder what his reaction would have been. Oh, and he doesn't watch Dexter--he spends all of his money on scratch-off lottery tickets so he can't afford premium channels. Doh.

Dan0997
08-04-2013, 06:19 AM
I used to follow Dexter, but missed several shows or maybe even a whole season or two leading up to this one, based on the recaps. In the first two episodes of this season, my opinion so far is that they are promoting the "good" things about psychopaths that we have seen recently in articles and books, talking about the "positive" qualities and they are here for a reason to advance humanity. What is most disturbing and inaccurate for me, is that they are portraying Dexter as having a conscience and empathy.

As for the "Psychopath Whisperer" herself, I find her "approval" and "admiration" of Dexter a little too much, especially when she whispered in his ear that he was "perfect." I personally think she is going to turn out to be the psychopath in this season and the serial killer she has Dexter looking for.

I'm agreeing with you on this Smitten. I enjoy the series but I think it is dangerous as it promotes the goodness of the psychopath so that many may equate them as being virtuous in some aspect of their lives, not because their "good and moral" behaviour is acted for the betterment of society or spiritual but because this overt "good and moral" behaviour is just a means to an end for them. I don't think Dexter is anywhere near an accurate portrayal of a psychopath but I think it is an interesting television show and I like the some of the other characters like Vince Masuka the seedy asian forensics guy with the sinister laugh. I sometimes like the absolute unashamed cussing of Debra Morgan.

In summary, the empathy and love he shows his young son is weird and doesn't ring true to me, and his self-awareness and introspection is weird.

Freezer Burned
08-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Just because the therapist diagnosed Dexter as a P doesn't make it so. From his backstory, shown in the first season, probably the very first show, I think he is not disordered but only has a severe anger management problem. That would explain why he has empathy for his son.

hope79
09-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Love this discussion. I got way into Dexter for awhile.....loved it. Then I started seeing my x in Dexter and myself in Deb and It made me angry. Weird the things that show us the truth. Still a great show but it got a little too personal for me at the time.

disowned
09-17-2013, 02:55 AM
this is a really interesting thread I have often debated this with my husband.

People think that just because he kills people he is a psychopath. But he isnt killing out of boredom or being evil. he is being the dutiful son, true to his fathers wishes, and making amends for the death of his mother. bad men killed his mother now he kills bad men. after gtting compelling evidence that they are murderers. once he made a mistake and killed an innocent he felt terrible and vowed that this would never happen again. He is a vigilante like batman or spiderman the only difference is he finishes the job "takes out the trash" kills the killers to stop them killing. he gets the ones who slip thruogh the net the ones the cops cant get for one reason or another. He has a conscience, he is thorough and hard working he does not get bored easily. he works full time and does 'unpaid overtime' he is that thorough. he loves his sister and his son he never plays mind games with his colleagues or family, out of boredom. he doesnt push anyones buttons or try to make people crazy he is not a compulsive liar.

He saw his mother horiffically murdered as a toddler its going to affect him. So if you watch your house burn down maybe you grow up to be a firefighter.

I think dexter is autistic, he fits the bill: shy, doesnt really understand people, but its not for want of trying, loves order, bit OCD needs his space. His father misunderstood him (maybe saw him kill an animal while trying to make sense of his mothers death?) and got together with the evil vogel who convinced him to bring his son up as a killer. he is basically a trained assasin. he was taken advantage of.

Hunters kill and fisherman are they psychopaths?
Soldiers kill are they all psychopaths? No they are doing as they are told. Dexter just did what his dad trained him to do. I love the programme but it makes me feel that its encouraging people to misunderstand autistic people and think they are evil, which thy are not.

If he were a psychopath would we really like him? wouldnt he remind us of our ex p so much we would not be able to watch?

sunkensilk
09-19-2013, 09:24 AM
im just shooting from the hip here..i love dexter and it also got a little too triggering at one point..P & myself would often discuss dexter..but i wanted to ask this: what do you make of "breaking bad" anyone watch it or is it too much violence for some? im really interested in how they depict walter whites bad self breaking through..how they elaborate on the narcissistic urges and injuries of almost all characters in the series, walter, jesse, skylar, hank, marie...etc. actually, i think breaking bad is one of the most interesting series exploring the dark fringes of psychology and, yes, personality disorders. frankly, you watch psychopaths in the making and doing. sorry if i digressed but my 2 cents ;)

exmrspsycho
09-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Cool observations, haywire! I also think the focus on his conscience is growing this season - what he's done to his sister, the past need for help when his dad died.

This is exactly right:

If we look at Dexter's relationships, he does not do this. He actually went out of his way to avoid harming Rita or making her uncomfortable. Yes, his relationships are odd, but nothing like the patterns we see here on this site. He does hurt innocent people for fun.

I wonder if they will end it by giving off some glimmer of hope, not just a psychopath who will never change.

Only ONE episode left.......EVER...........:(

exmrspsycho
09-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I am so very sad........Dexter is over and quite frankly I felt the finale departed overall from the series.. :(

SearchingForSunshine
09-23-2013, 04:17 PM
exmrspsycho - LOVE your new avatar!!! lol! It's so so so cute!! :h: xxxxx

exmrspsycho
09-23-2013, 04:27 PM
thank you so very much SearchingForSunshine I got it from a beautiful friend from the other side of the world..:)

SearchingForSunshine
09-23-2013, 04:35 PM
exmrspsycho - lol! I'm sure I read about that somewhere :raspberry::h:

Gratitude
09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
I love the show Dexter as well. Have followed it from the beginning (huge fan of 6 feet under and LOVE Michael C Hall). Used to watch it with my XP and when I found out what he really was I wondered if I could still watch it. Turns out I can and I watched the last 2 episodes last night (stayed up till 4 am as I couldn't just watch one!!!). He is incredibly odd and complicated, but I agree he doesn't show any pleasure in hurting innocent people. If he is a P he doesn't make it his mission to destroy lives, watch them suffer and then discard the mess. We see a lot more things as the show progresses to argue if he really is a psychopath. I also hoped for more insight from Dr Vogel. Maybe in the books???

Peace
09-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey Gratitude! I had a lot of similar questions - and I wished that Dr. Vogel lasted longer as well. I really think Dexter's care for his sister (especially shown in the last episode) is indicative of something more than a psychopath. Don't want to write any spoilers, but wow, that finale.

disowned
09-25-2013, 06:50 PM
I am in England so not had the finale yet pls no spoilers! I think its this weekend yikes cant wait!

RocktheBoat
11-21-2013, 10:19 PM
You could go through Hollywood for weeks and even months asking yourself if the characters are psychopaths or not.

Some of our most beloved fictional character, really are some. I have not watched Dexter enough to make an opinion on it.

Dan0997
11-30-2013, 03:31 AM
Hey @Gratitude (https://www.psychopathfree.com/member.php?u=2839)! I had a lot of similar questions - and I wished that Dr. Vogel lasted longer as well. I really think Dexter's care for his sister (especially shown in the last episode) is indicative of something more than a psychopath. Don't want to write any spoilers, but wow, that finale.

Yes, the finale is a surprise indeed!

I agree, he isn't the typical psychopath as I see it. Some kindness has shone through in more ways than one and he has stuck to that "code" for so long without actually deviating. He isn't impulsive or shallow. We know so much about him yet he is quite likeable so how could he be a psychopath? He shows some of the traits though, for sure.

Alis
11-30-2013, 09:53 AM
He started out as a psychopath, wanting to know what it was like to feel human emotion. Then at the end of the series he got what he wanted, but at that point all he wanted was the feelings to stop. /Ironic.

Survivor32
12-10-2013, 02:46 AM
I absolutely loved "Dexter" and watched until the end! I'd love to discuss the ending, but do not want to ruin it for anyone.
BTW...I think the 4th season finale is the best I've ever seen in a season finale! Just sayin'. Can't wait until you are all caught up!
Yes, he is a psychopath and has only learned how to act around others in his daily life. Remember, it is all about what a psychopath can get from another, which is disguised as care, when in fact they cannot truly care about anyone except possibly themselves.

Aloneagain
05-25-2014, 03:34 PM
My ex-P loved Dexter! There is a good chance he was identifying himself with this personality. Since he also thought of himself as a good guy fighting the "bad" ones. Dangerous series for P's to watch I think.

RecentlyFreed
05-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Survivor32, it was a great ending, but have you seen Breaking Bad? Takes the cake easily ;)

positivity
05-28-2014, 07:28 AM
I could never agree with hurting anyone ever for any purpose, at least with consciousness. We all hurt people around us but not in the manner P's do. I am a devastated man who has been in a relationship with a P for 5 years. Will post my story in the into section or survivors, hope it will help many men avoid having a 2 nd date with P ever. I have spent my last 6 months researching psychopathy and I believe my intro here will help many men. I am still in the rage period, yes I want revenge, but I start to slowly understand that revenge will bring anything good into my life. I am quite a spiritual guy, do not believe in religions much but I do believe in a higher power I like to call the universe.

On topic, I've watched the whole Dexter series and I must admit with all my heart that I would love to know there exist large numbers of smart individuals like Dexter, that have the ability to stop this personality trait in P's, but in a different manner. The same way Dexter has seen his mother die, and has affected him so much that he chose to start a getting a grotesque rush/relief from killing other individuals, like his mother's murderer, I WOULD like to see qualified people in stopping psychopathic behavior for the reason that my ex P has left me in the same "blood pool" Dexter was.

P's are ill people that cannot be treated, its a personality trait that doesn't change no matter what, just like cancer, but they are to blame for one single purpose they harm with purpose.

Who believes that any P's they've ever met don't have moments of normality, not P's normality but even then they continue their sick behaviour? They do everything for achieving a goal but even when the goal is achieved they are not happy. I still do not understand one thing, and I will talk more about this in my intro post; Why do most of the P's not get caught most of their lives not in personal, intimate relationships, where the victim is blinded by love and bond but in their professional area and elsewhere, it is so evident for me now who is a good candidate for being a P just by meeting the person a few times. I do know of other psychopaths that have high positions and they do wrong things but yet nobody ever says "hey you are wrong" or whatever. I confronted one of them and the person is a damn old family friend. After trying to attack me all night, at a wedding table, including throwing words at me about my dad who passed away, I confronted him, listened to his crap for hours. I only told him (it) that he is totally wrong for having such deceiving behavior towards me, after all the good my dad did for him. His response. Just when he left the wedding, so nobody but his abused wife could hear probably was "You are nothing but a higgledy-piggledy piece of crap (http://ro.bab.la/dictionar/engleza-romana/higgledy-piggledy)
" smiled and left.

confuzed
09-02-2014, 05:39 AM
I really have found Dexter fascinating,the writers were very clever with the opening kill,it automatically hooks you because his victim is heinous,I also think that dialogue in his head is his father ,who recognized him at a young age,and then schooled him on mirroring human emotions and helped him to find a what he thought a righteous supply to meet his urges and,mainly he drummed in his head "lesson 1-dont get caught,even his relationships,he says he doesnt understand them,but they are not his supply,like my narc had her fan club,they would never know her true nature.Dexter has his fan club,I also think he has asbergers as well so human intimacy is something he finds arkward and baffling,but his father taught him how to project so he looks normal.
I think they study us ,as we are now studying them ,otherwise how do we fall for them,I am certainly nobodys fool,my narc had a full book case of self help books,so when hooking me,she had all the right responses,but that was her mask,tricking me she was empathetic,compassionate vulnerable.
The character Lyla reminds me of my narc,very seductive and highly manipulative,pity play,she had no qualms breaking the rules.

Yes breaking bad is very interesting,the change in Walter as the series goes on,is really interesting,the ending really telling.

I really like HBO series,I have ocd si ive watched Dexter bout 7 times,I find the sopranos ver interesting as well.

Raphaella
09-03-2014, 04:40 AM
Oh, I have been recommended Dexter so many times and told I would love it. I too LOVE HBO anything! Watched Game Of Thrones - love it! Six Feet Under - Loved it! Deadwood - Awesome!! Breaking Bad - Best series EVER! .........If you love music watch the Treme series, about Hurricane katrina and New Orleans - awesome story line and excellent music AND they use authentic muso's. Loved that series also, but don't think that one was HBO? Gonna download Dexter now :

confuzed
09-03-2014, 04:55 AM
Oh, I have been recommended Dexter so many times and told I would love it. I too LOVE HBO anything! Watched Game Of Thrones - love it! Six Feet Under - Loved it! Deadwood - Awesome!! Breaking Bad - Best series EVER! .........If you love music watch the Treme series, about Hurricane katrina and New Orleans - awesome story line and excellent music AND they use authentic muso's. Loved that series also, but don't think that one was HBO? Gonna download Dexter now :

Yeah I have all those series to,do you have the Sopranos?
sift feet under is amazing,actually they all are,and after reading this thread I'm watching it again,I thought I wouldnt like it as I hate all the attention they get,they thrive on it,but the writers are quite amazing.
I was told all these series, the writers came out of the Hollywood writers strike in the 90's and HBO gave them free rein.
The Wire is really good to,and madmen.
No Ive not seen the one about Katrina,I will check it out,I'm really not teky,so I just buy the series second hand,cheap. But I will look for it.:happy:

I had a shitty day but feelin ok now,just ride it out,it just comes in waves eh?

Raphaella
09-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Yeah the HBO writers are just very very clever. I just love them! You would love Treme lots of Jazz if you're into that, and the story line is addictive and very clever AND gives you such a good insight into what happened in Hurricane Katrina. The Crew went to live there for a coupla years interviewing the locals and getting a real feel for the place and they used a lot of the local musicians. SUCH a good series!

Sorry you had a shitty day, I had one yesterday. This morning I woke up on top of the world and as I was driving to work I was contemplating that this getting over the N experience is kinda like the birthing process whereby the contractions take over and are overwhelming, but they are like a wave. You just ride the pain out, and then you go down into a lull and find rest and peace for a bit, and then the contraction starts again. The contractions get less and less, and then the birth occurs - looking forward to that part :) Hang in there dude, it's gonna get a whole lot better!

confuzed
09-03-2014, 05:14 AM
I will have to look that up,isnt that dedication,that they lived there,and told an authentic story,thats awesume,Jazz not really my thing,but i'm bettin its really cool,the music is great in these shows.
Have you seen True Blood?that has the best sountrack,I really liked vampire stuff buit now I'm feelin a bit icky havin that thing just feed on me.

you know,I think I needed to cry,somethin I dont do much,its really part of Aussie culture,but I let it out.

I got the chords for 2 songs by The Script,I dont know if it was you who introduced me to them?

anyway it triggered "a big sadness"Like shit why did this have to happen..............like us all I was so into her

well im ok now,and watching Dexter with a bit more insight.

Im glad your doin good :happy:

overtherainbow
09-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Dexter was an awesome series, madmen is one of my favorites I'm a nostalgia buff and that shows set in the 50's awesome. I have the Soprano's seasons set, doess anyone remember Tara of the United States, about a houewife who had a personality disorders and her husband loved everyone of her personalities. Tara was good.. Off the subject with this one but Edie Falco as nurse Jackie addicted to vicaden.. Great pilots..

Raphaella
09-03-2014, 05:47 AM
I will have to look that up,isnt that dedication,that they lived there,and told an authentic story,thats awesume,Jazz not really my thing,but i'm bettin its really cool,the music is great in these shows.
Have you seen True Blood?that has the best sountrack,I really liked vampire stuff buit now I'm feelin a bit icky havin that thing just feed on me.

you know,I think I needed to cry,somethin I dont do much,its really part of Aussie culture,but I let it out.

I got the chords for 2 songs by The Script,I dont know if it was you who introduced me to them?

anyway it triggered "a big sadness"Like shit why did this have to happen..............like us all I was so into her

well im ok now,and watching Dexter with a bit more insight.

Im glad your doin good :happy:

Yeah well that's the only way the could tell the story as it really was, tragic story when you get a look right inside it - but a story of rising from the ashes - and the music being the glue which held it together! I love Jazz, but I think even if you are not a Jazz lover you will appreciate the story AND the musicians!

Crying is good, whether you are Australian, Kiwi, Japanese.......male, female...........whatever. Let it out! It's all good.

You should write your pain out into a song?

overtherainbow
09-03-2014, 05:55 AM
Come to think of it my spath always watched the talented Mr.Ripley, he loved that movie. HMMM

confuzed
09-03-2014, 05:56 AM
Yeah,I will look for the series,Yeah I was sorta joking bout the Aussie stuff it was very therapeutic.
Im not a songwriter,Ive only been learning piano bout well 6 mths lessons,so maybe when I can really play,I'm a singer but decided to learn piano. overtherainbow,
I saw a few tara,Toni Collette is one of my favorite actors ,being an Aussie,Ive seen a lot of her early Australian films.
edie Falco in anything would be brilliant,the Sopranos has an amazing cast,mad men is really good,music is great to.

overtherainbow
09-03-2014, 06:17 AM
confuzed, I loved your John Lennon Avatar, always meant to tell you that. But the new one is cute also. Have a happy spath free day..

confuzed
09-03-2014, 02:53 PM
overtherainbow
yeah I really loved that photo,but In my paranoia that she could be here,I knew it would identify me.
I'm not that paranoid anymore:proud:

overtherainbow
09-03-2014, 09:56 PM
confuzed, I'm happy your not paranoid anymore, I was paranoid for a long while to. My daughters friends thought I was crazy, but my daughter knew the paranoia was caused by that sociopathic son of a bitch. Its no fun being paranoid, actually its quite scarey. I'm glad that's over.

confuzed
09-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Thanks,
I went through the stages of grief article this morning,and I'm pretty much going through all it says,and maybe I dont give a shit if shes on here,her days of what I say or think or feel have ended,sick fuck that she is.
I was wondering,do they take trophy's of us?
maybe watching Dexter wasnt such a good idea :)

overtherainbow
09-04-2014, 08:39 AM
:hug confuzed, As a matter of fact they do take trophies from us. Everytime I threw him out and took him back my son would look in his bag and find something he stole from me, we thought it was for the other woman, now reading these posts and educating myself it was something to remember me by. Its crazy I know. Ddid Dexter trigger memories for you, if sso dont watch him, when your recovered you will be able to watch it and laugh at the thngs that once triggered you. I always find myself laughing at something now that a while back would have me spinning. No contact Contact=pain,heal and recover confuzed. Its gonna be alright...

confuzed
09-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Actually no Dexter isnt I just wondered if they did take trophies,I want to get rid of everything,the emails,every picture,everything she gave me,oh except my harmonica:happy:,but I dont know if I can yet,but I guess I will know?
I must be feeling a lil bit better,Ive turned on my PM,5 days ago I was terrified of that,so I can feel myself slowly calming down,and uts communicating,with everyone here.
I will recover now,I know I will,I believe it.:happy: I guess its called hope eh?

overtherainbow
09-04-2014, 06:29 PM
confuzed, yes you will recover here..

Gratitude
09-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Dexter was an awesome series, madmen is one of my favorites I'm a nostalgia buff and that shows set in the 50's awesome. I have the Soprano's seasons set, doess anyone remember Tara of the United States, about a houewife who had a personality disorders and her husband loved everyone of her personalities. Tara was good.. Off the subject with this one but Edie Falco as nurse Jackie addicted to vicaden.. Great pilots..

Love all of these too! Also a few more to add:

Saving Grace (Holly Hunter), The Bridge, Halt and Catch fire (nostalgic tech industries in the 80's), Sherlock (fabulous and funny), The Killing (dark but great stories and acting), The Fall, True Detective & Sensitive Skin. Some are more violent murder mysteries (too dark for some) but I find them well done and a great way to just take the mind away from the obsessive P/N mind chatter that is hard to shut off some days.

RecentlyFreed
09-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Love all of these too! Also a few more to add:

Saving Grace (Holly Hunter), The Bridge, Halt and Catch fire (nostalgic tech industries in the 80's), Sherlock (fabulous and funny), The Killing (dark but great stories and acting), The Fall, True Detective & Sensitive Skin. Some are more violent murder mysteries (too dark for some) but I find them well done and a great way to just take the mind away from the obsessive P/N mind chatter that is hard to shut off some days.

The office is also a great show to take your mind off it alll, plus it's 9 seasons so it'll take a bit to get through it :)

monicajane
09-18-2014, 02:27 PM
OK this has been going on a long time now. In answer to the topic of this thread 'Is Dexter a Pshyco'... I have to smile and say... NO HE'S AN ACTOR!!! (sorry I have a weird sense of humour....)

overtherainbow
09-18-2014, 02:46 PM
monicajane, lol yes I know he's not really a psyco, lucky for him right, but he plays one on Dexter. Thank God he's a great actor & not one of them..